Each time I start my job search, I would update my resume. I would read all the different advices on resume writing, but I never really knew what hiring managers look for when they review resumes. So, I decided to ask. If you know me, you know that's my motto: just ask 'cause the worst answer is a "no".
Below are the few responses I got from two hiring managers who each have over 20 years of experience hiring employees that I thought could help those are in the same boat as I am.
Q: What attract you first about a resume?
A: Brevity! One or two pages at most as I have a lot to go through. A resume that is concise and easy to read attracts me. I also like to look at the experience section and note the relevant experiences.
A: Longevity! I look at how long someone has been in their past positions. If they change jobs every one or two years, this may not be the right person to hire.
Q: What don’t you like about a resume?
A: Objective. It’s a given that everyone is looking for a good job. There is no need to state that. This is a dated section and isn’t necessary in today’s world. I would rather see a summary of their skill sets.
A: Reference available upon request. This is a given. If you get a face-to-face interview, then that’s when you bring your references.
Q: What advice would you give to someone who is looking to start a new career?
A: That is the hardest thing: getting that first job. I would say to apply for entry level jobs. Once you get in, you gain experience and you can move into higher paying jobs.
A: Look at the job description and tailor your resume to reflect the skill sets required for the job. Make an emphasis in your job history to describe some of the functions you did that would make you better suited for this job.
Q: Any other advice you can give to job hunters out there?
A: Be prepared at your interview. If you bring a 90-day plan on how you will approach the new position, it will show initiative as well as how serious you are about the position. This would win me over every time.
A: Smile once in a while during your interview. It goes a long way of brighten up my mood and help your case a little more.
Mindy, great blog.
ReplyDeleteSince many institutions now have and may only accept the "on-line" application, it may be difficult to utilize a resume, but when you can, I recommend keeping a resume to less than two pages. When reviewing applicants, I first sort by immediately deleting anyone who changes jobs frequently. Past history points to future tendencies.
Itemize specific skills learned with previous employment, even if it was in a different trade. ex: Customer service skills learned from being a waiter/waitress, etc. or Lean Manufacturing concepts. The last time I interviewed I talked about "things" I learned in my previous job that I wouldn't do in the future.
When you make the initial screening and get called for an interview, be prepared for a barrage of behavioral based interview questions.
Don't gloat on your GPA. I'll take an average technical skill based individual with above average communication and patient focused skills over an Einstein who can't get along with anyone.
Greg Olsen, MT(ASCP)SBB
Director, Clinical Laboratory
Boys Town National Research Hospital
Omaha, NE
Celeste Daigneault • In my screening/interviewing experience as the hiring mananger, I review the candidate's resume with three areas of focus related to the open position: (1) what is the candidate's career experience to successfully fulfill the role. Basically this is to determine if the candidate has acquired the skillset to do the job. (2) what has the candidate achieved in previous positions (ie restructures a process with reduction in cost; launched a new process with increase in revenue) and if those achievements would be valuable in the open position. [Note: During the interview, I would ask the candidate how s/he past accomplishments can be leveraged in to the new position.] (3) the 'soft' insights with grammer, punctuation, spelling, format of the resume and anything that provides a glimpse of the candidate's personality and character (introvert/extrovert, detail-oriented, quality-focused, athletic activities, community involvement, college/university area obtained education, etc). When the criteria in all three areas have been met, the resume moves to the top of the stack and I look forward to the interview to confirm what I think I gleaned from the resume.
ReplyDeleteCeleste Daigneault • A suggestion: create a one page 'introduction' that highlights your career objective, transferable skills, your accomplishments and identify the last 10 years (or less) of employment and training. This approach piques the manager's interest and has s/he looking for more depth about you. Have your 2,3 and if necessary 5 page resume/CV when you are contacted. Bottom line: distill the message to make it easy to receive and heighten the curiousity, followed by the substance of what makes you unique.
ReplyDeleteRick Roll • Send me a 5 page resume and I most likely won't even look at it. I certainly won't get through it all. You need to ask yourself if you want it looked at or want to list everything you've ever done. This goes along with tailoring your resume for the position you're applying for. You might need some talents/experience for one position and something different for another position. Do you really need everything for the position you're applying for? We have 1000 other things we'd rather/need to be doing than plowing through resumes that large.
ReplyDeleteCeleste Daigneault • In my screening/interviewing experience as the hiring mananger, I review the candidate's resume with three areas of focus related to the open position: (1) what is the candidate's career experience to successfully fulfill the role. Basically this is to determine if the candidate has acquired the skillset to do the job. (2) what has the candidate achieved in previous positions (ie restructures a process with reduction in cost; launched a new process with increase in revenue) and if those achievements would be valuable in the open position. [Note: During the interview, I would ask the candidate how s/he past accomplishments can be leveraged in to the new position.] (3) the 'soft' insights with grammer, punctuation, spelling, format of the resume and anything that provides a glimpse of the candidate's personality and character (introvert/extrovert, detail-oriented, quality-focused, athletic activities, community involvement, college/university area obtained education, etc). When the criteria in all three areas have been met, the resume moves to the top of the stack and I look forward to the interview to confirm what I think I gleaned from the resume.
ReplyDeleteMitchell Wan • Sometimes you need to read between the lines of their resume - hard working, loyal, reliable, hands on, practical, team player and honesty. Look at what sports that they play- swimmers are good for early starts. Normally people that have high GPAs, are not practical. Check their references - ask cross referencing questions. At the interview - use your interview questions - assess their attention etc. Walk them through the lab. Introduce, and allow them to interact with other colleagues. Assess and discuss with colleagues after the inteview. You will also need someone that will fit into the team, and be able to do what you are hiring them for. Eg. Lead a team, Quality manager etc.
ReplyDelete---------------------------------------------
Mitchell Wan •
Re sports people (in general) - it usually indicates a persons ability to focus on the job. Usually these people exhibit greater discipline.
All these qualities, should reflect in their work ethic.When you receive many resumes - you need to shortlist.
I also view their contribution to the community.
You need to cross reference their information in their resumes, to form a rating of the person.
A resume that is too long - will just ensure that the recruiter loses interest.
Also spelling is important (sorry, if I have made errors- I'm trying to write using my mobile). I hear of many mangers that do not shortlist a resume, if they spell the recruiter' name incorrectly. Do not use sms abbreviations in your cover letter or resume.
The length of time in previous employment - can provide a pattern.
There may be good reason(s) why a candidate moves regularly. It may be the employer does not provide empoyees with reasonable education, advancement and interest in the job.
Check references to satisfy yourself that all is at arms length.
I personally do not add a photo of myself on a resume. However, a handful of applicants will do this. It may make the application more personal. (Which may be a good thing).
I hope this helps.
Shawn Ashraf • Summary of Qualifications:
ReplyDeleteI have 30 second to read your resume and always look at the summary of qualification for the following: This section usually present an overview of your experience, accomplishments, talents, work habits, and skills. Think of it as a mini-outline of you; a highly influential summation of the specifics you bring to the job.
Bernadette Cu-Todd • Thanks Mindy! I agree with Shawn. 30 seconds is all you have to capture a manager and a recruiter's attention. The sole purpose of a resume is to get you a phone call. The phone call will get you the onsite interview and the onsite interview will get you the job. That said, you want to make sure you have a resume that gives a good overview of your background/experience and one that will differentiate you from the rest. Pay close attention to the job requirements and highlight your background/experience in those areas.
ReplyDeleteShawn Ashraf • Thanks Bernadette! 30 seconds only if resume ever made it over to the hiring manager inbox out of hundreds HR have to sort through. It is very import as you just said to make sure that resume gives a very good overview of background/experience that matches the job description hiring manager is trying to fill in the Summary of Qualifications, otherwise you know where all those resumes end up... I hope this helps.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great blog! I really appreciate everyone exchanging their comments about hiring....especially for a new graduate like me. I did come across the fact that longevity in a position was important. I agree with that. Does this apply to contract positions?
ReplyDeleteHi Unknown, Thank you for your comment. With contract positions, you do not have a choice with the end date. I know some companies would only hire contract workers for a maximum of two years due to some regulations that would require them to pay more benefits if they were to extend the contract, so no matter how good you are, they would not extend beyond that period. For those with contract work, I would suggest creating a job with the title of independent contract worker and listing all the contract work under that job. Most hiring managers recognize that contract work are short term and can be temporary. If you alert them to that fact, it would help explain the short duration of these positions.
ReplyDeleteIt's rather interesting to note the errors in the responses. For those of us looking for jobs, we see a lot of good/great recommendations, however, the old saying comes to mind "Preacher, do as you preach."
ReplyDeleteWe are constantly warned many times over, and in this blog, to watch for grammar, punctuation and spelling errors, incorrect homonyms and need to explain acronyms.
At what time during the application process do we lay down the magnifying glass, and look at the content, character and possibilities?